Friday, March 18, 2011

Irish dreams....sigh.








Have I mentioned that I have started a savings account to finally go to Ireland one day?  yep...$50.  Brian said I should save up at least $10,000 and my cousin Michelle (who lived there for 6 weeks) suggested that I stay for at LEAST three weeks.  Well, I am the queen of thrifty and I already have some fun FREE stuff to do.  In Dublin, I found out that they have free walking tours - I like walking.  And I found some accomodations in Dublin for under $100/night and they don't look too bad too.  I think one of them is a holiday inn.  I figure if I save up $50 a month I'll have enough money to go for my 40th birthday. 
Who would I go with?  Well, Brian said that he would love to take me, and my mom said that she would love to come too - after hearing me babble about everything that I've read (and after we watched P.S. I Love You)  The only thing that I'm worried about is that it is not going to live up to the fantasy that I've built in my head. 
I remember the first time we (brian and I) traveled back to Ontario for the first time after we were married.  I think we had been married 3 years, and I missed it so much.  I longed to be there more than anything, and that all my bible school friends would still be there.  Sadly, everyone had moved away, except I got to see my good friend kim - she lived in the apartment under me.  I was disappointed that I couldn't spend more time doing the things that I had spent countless time daydreaming about.  Anyways, my expectations were so unrealistic that it was destined for disaster.  I am going back to Ontario this june - all by myself.  I'm taking pictures for my niece's wedding- (I have a niece that is old enough to get married! - wierd!)  I don't think of her as a niece though.  I'm looking forward to having time to myself, and doing what I want.  I'm going to visit my brother and take lots of pictures of my nephews.  I'm sure that my diet is going to go completely out the window, because my brother knows how to cook ...AND all the best places to eat.  I'm looking forward to being with  my sister (in law).  She is so wonderful and one of my favorite people.

So back to Ireland.  I'm not planning too much...just little things.  I found a B&B that I want to stay at in Wicklow Co. and I for sure want to do some hiking.  Other than that, I think that I leave the rest to plan 5 years from now.  That way I don't manage to disappoint myself again.

No comments: