Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Well, since I have this BIG HUGE Jane Austen book with like 6 stories in one book, I finished Sense and Sensibility and started right on to Pride and Predjudice. Pride and Predjudice was quite a bit easier for me to get into because a) I could understand the lingo b) the backstory didn't seem too complicated. A family with 5 girls and there is a wealthy man moving into the area. The mom wants to introduce her family to him and hopefully get one of them married. I think the only thing that bugs me is the fact that the families estate goes straight to a distant cousin after the father dies! Why?!! Why can't the mother own the house? What? They don't believe in women owning property then? It still bugs me, and makes me so thankful that I live in a different time. Where my whole identity wouldn't be defined by if I was married or not, OR if i was good "breeding". BREEDING!!! Sounds like dogs and horses. Honestly, I want my girls to be happy with whomever they choose. Yes I would want them to have a decent living, but not to be so greedy to disregard a person of character for someone who's personality is defined by how big their pocketbook is. BORING! In Jane Austen's time if you marry for money, it's considered a "good match". I know that we do it in the day and age, but seriously!
I'm loving Pride and Prejudice, because the main character - Elizabeth has strong, decent morals and isn't intimidated to stand up for them - no matter how much money or influence you have. Marianne from Sense and Sensibility was the same way also, but she seems to have more style than Elizabeth has. Elizabeth isn't silly - unlike her mother, who is always comparing herself to other mother's in the community (ie: Mrs. Lucas) and is not aware of the people around her and how they percieve her. Elizabeth is very self-aware and very discerning, and her judgment on character is always right. I would like to think that I am that kind of person. Not silly, or mean, or use my influence for hurting people and their reputation. Which is one reason why people hate working with women - because they gossip and always backstab each other. DRAMA!
so ya..That's where I'm at with that. It's either photo editing, photoshoots or weddings or scrambling to catch up on housework lately. Looking forward for school to start. Crazy. I was happy for it to end in June. My girls have such a hard time with kids. bullies. stupid teachers who do nothing. silly kids (mine) who don't tell me stuff until it's too late. So it's been nice to spend some time to recooperate and love on them.
Thursday, July 15, 2010
- I watch girly movies! I rented "Leap Year" with Amy Adams & Matthew Goode. I actually really liked it. I was going to watch it twice, but honestly, i have lots of work to do before brian and Haley come home on monday. Also watched Bounty hunter, but it wasn't so good. I kept getting distracted...that can't be good when you're watching a movie. Also, I have to add that Matthew Goode looks WAY better in the movie than in this poster.
- I read! I don't know why, but I don't read when I have lots on my mind. I find that with each person I have at home there is more to think about. So I found when Emily went to stay with my mom, I could feel the stress go a little bit, and when brian and Haley went, my mind cleared a little more. And then i told Old Navy that I couldn't come in this week, cleared up ALOT more. funny how a 8 hour/wk job can do that to me! I also told the worship team at church that I wouldn't be able to help out for the summer. Man I do alot! Anyways, back to reading. I'm reading Sense & Sensiblity. Since I can actually concentrate on what I'm reading, I actually like it. The first few paragraphs a little confusing trying to figure out the difference between Mr. Dashwood, and Mr. John Dashwood, and remembering what his wife's name was. Though, Jane Austin does leave alot to the imagination. I can see why it must be hard to write a screenplay on one of these books, because she just skips so much, and where there could be so much more detail she just compounds it all into one boring sentence!
- I bake! I've made brownies AND cupcakes! I bought all these baking mixes from Costco. Even though I didn't have the time to bake and use them I knew that I would one day! And that day finally came!
- I go out for breakfast! That's one thing that Brian does not like to do is go out for breakfast. To him that's a waste, and that you shouldn't pay someone to make something that you could easily make yourself. That's true, but...to me it's so much more than that. It gives me a reason to get up and out of the house - especially when I have lots of stuff to do. Also, it's a great way to connect. Ally and I had fun talking about all kinds of stuff over chocolate chip pancakes at Denny's. (I had eggs benedict - not as good as I make it, but I didn't have to make it!)
- I have girl nights! Yep, tomorrow, some of my friends are coming over and were going to watch MORE girl movies! and I'm feeding them my brownies and cupcakes :) My house is clean, so I don't feel bad.
- I go out for ice cream! Tonight I took ally out for ice cream at Marble Slab Creamery. They have a new flavour - Green Tea! I wasn't sure, but I had a sample and it was delish! Not as harsh and bitter/dry? as the smoothies from Booster Juice (which I really like btw). It was really creamy and had a different taste. I paired it with strawberries and coconut. Ally got cotton candy ice cream with gummy bears. she's such a kid!
Friday, June 18, 2010
Well, I've been quite busy with my photography and on top of it, Old Navy has scheduled me for everyday that I said that I was available. Thinking that was too much to handle I chose to cut my availability drastically. I felt so good last night, thinking about what I would do around the house with my free time, but that didn't last long. Went to check my email to find out that they had scheduled me everyday next week again! AND up it went again! My heart rate, my breathing, the pressure on my chest...not fun. This emotional rollercoaster can't be good for my body. I talked to my boss, and it turns out that it is only for one more week, and then i have the hours that I want. So i just have to press through, and try to stay positive. Everything usually works out it the end...it's just waiting - the in between part that kills me! Speaking of dinner, I should go make some. peace out.
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
I'm feeling much better after going to bed early two nights in a row. But, I think I'm pushing it again by staying up late to fold laundry and watching "Rent". I don't know why I'm watching it. The music isn't that good, but it's better when you can see what they are singing about. I've tried to listen to the soundtrack online and couldn't handle it. The melody is nice, and the harmonies are INCREDIBLE but the lyrics are like talking at times and can be quite bizarre to listen to one of the songs by itself. You have no idea what they're talking about!
Ok this is a weird segway, but do you like coloring? I love it, and i confess that I love to look at the coloring section at Michael's - you know where you can buy those felt posters. I want to buy one that would take you forever to color, but then I think forward and it really would kill me to not finish it. And WHO has time to color when there's more important things to do like _________. But that all changed when I found this site! http://www.colorpagesformom.com/ Yes, a FREE coloring site with small manageable projects. I love geometric patterns, but they have flowers, butterflies...and it's for MOMS! That alone gives me permission to color!
Sunday, June 13, 2010
Thursday, May 27, 2010
Last year I thought, if I could just master my camera...now it's advertising, promotion, sales, accounting...sigh. But I'm doing it! Hey, if God believes in me, I should certainly too!
Well I most certainly ended up doing some negotiating, and I have to say that I think I did pretty good. The last time I had to I was too desparate and ended up regretting my decision. This time I came to a decision that I think we are all happy with. I'm growing! But for now, I wait. They will get back to me in a couple days with their decision, if it's yes, then I'm going to be taking pictures of two beautiful receptions, one small intimate wedding ceremony, and formals. My friend who just came back from India, offered to lend me her sari, and begged to be my assistant. I'm imaging how colorful it will be...sigh. Oh the suspense!
Update: I got the job!! and it ended up being my first indian wedding. LOVED the food and the people. They were so gentle and hospitable. I would do it again in a heartbeat! Here's a picture that I took from it.
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
I don't know if this is just a phase, where my emotions are always so close to the surface- emotional flooding as they call it in my parenting class. If it is, I hope it passes fast. I hate being sensitive, and vulnerable. I'm working on it. yay...another happy post from me.
Sunday, May 16, 2010
Since it has slowed down for the month of May, there is temptation for the devil to come in and tell me that I'm not successful, and that I should just quit. That it's not good for the family for me to be working this much because the house IS quite chaotic.
But I have taken this time to catch up on housework, work at Old Navy, and work on my course. Just trust God that HE's taking care of me and giving me a breather before my big & first wedding season. But you know what, I was a little bit guilty because my house wasn't running smoothly, everything not "Perfect" (that should be a swear word by the way!!) and I told someone on the phone last week when they asked how I was doing, I said, "well, you know, I'm just trying to find that healthy balance between being a wife,mom,and working two jobs. I'm finding it hard juggling it all."
Well, today at church we had a guest speaker talk about getting into rhythmn with God - getting in sync. Realizing that there is a time and season for everything. And to trust that God knows, and takes care of us. (that's what I've been doing!! I've been doing it right!! yay!) Also to know what time it is. There is a)Chronos time - time that is measured and b)kyros time - experiences. Kyros is the God appointed time - when God opens up opportunities for you, you've got to run with it.
Another thing that I got out of the evening service, was a verse that my pastor when I was a kid would always quote it from Jeremiah. " i have plans of peace...to bring you to an expected end" I don't remember it word for word - but it was a promise that God thinks good about us, and doesn't have plans that would harm us, but are to prosper us and are full of hope. Did you know that was written to people living in the slums in Babylon?! They were unhappy! They were transplanted and God said that HE moved them there and He wanted them to happy and build houses and plant gardens and immerse themselves in the culture.
Then the pastor said, "how many of you moved here from other places?" Shockingly, 90% of the people in the sanctuary put up their hand. We - I was transplanted to Edmonton, and He has something that HE wants to do in my city. I love my city. I don't know why...or where it comes from. But it came from a very young age - God put it there. So all the trials that I go through living away from my parents is worth it, and I would do it again. I do miss my family, and the mountains...and lakes...and hiking trails...sigh. everything. But I know I would be unhappy, because I wouldn't be in sync with my creator.
Find out what God is doing and get in sync with him. get rhythmn.
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
It's funny how a mother doesn't have peace until the last eyelid is closed. I just got out of the shower and was trying to figure out what was this nagging feeling, why can't I enjoy my shower?! Everyone's in bed...hey wait. Emily might still be up. today, one of her friends told Emily that she was a werewolf, and then did some trick that Emily is CONVINCED is magic. Em said that she was jealous, so said, "oh ya?! well I'm a leprechaun!" she said that they went back and forth, back and forth until the girl said, "oh ya, well then you better watch out, because there is a bad man who is looking people like us, and if he finds you, your in trouble!" So that's what my night was filled with...trying to convince Emily that her friend wasn't a werewolf. YAY me! The only way I could calm her down was to tell her that she could sleep in my bed. It was an act of desperation! I really don't want to share my bed, it's taken me years to accept that I have to share a bed with my husband! Yes I love him, but I LOVE to stretch out. The things we do for the people we love.
Wow..I can't remember the last time that I had the day to myself. They don't come as often as they used to. I've been working so much between Old Navy and my photography. If it's not one it's the other! But this month, it was weird like all of a sudden I have no bookings. I was scheduled to do a show at my church, but that fell through.
So I've decided that I will make good use of my time. I'm going to use it as a time to catch up on housework, and then finish as much of my photography course as possible. Last night I had a bath (with my newly bought bubble bar from LUSH) and took my textbook in with me. I got a couple pages read, then I was starting to nod off. I was thinking I should do this more! Look at me multi-task! I also did a photo shoot with Haley on Mother's day. She needs some current pictures for her grade six graduation. So my baby is going to have the BEST pictures up there! We had fun, I let her pick where she wanted to go, and we just wandered downtown. I even got her to take a couple pictures of me. It was a bit frustrating trying to communicate to her how to take the picture the way I saw it in my head. finally I just gave up, and realized I DID give her the camera to use, and it's HER interpretation. I had to just let go. It was fun to bond over something that I love, and I think she is starting to appreciate it also.
So right now I'm writing from my new computer. How am I able to afford all this new stuff...truthfully, I'm not. haha No, I've booked 5 weddings this summer and now I have to book more to pay for Photoshop CS5. I was happy with the 5 I booked, but now I realize that I have to book a couple more, to stay on top and not get overwhelmed-financially speaking. Anyways, a couple weeks ago I was editing an INCREDIBLE photo shoot that I had, and my computer said that it could save the files because I had low disk space!! AND THEN after I fixed that, the DVD drive crapped out, so I ended up giving the client 4CD's! It looked great and impressive, but I'm trying to do things as cost effective as possible! So I realized as nice as it was for my mom to give me an old computer, I had to invest in a new one if I wanted to get further with my business. So we went shopping, I did research online to find out what i REALLY needed and got some great advice from my brother( who just graduated from college as an IT tech!!). So yesterday driving home from Best Buy, I was a little nervous - hoping I made the right decision. Right now I'm feeling pretty good, but it's just a pain that I have download Photoshop again.
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Other news..someone thinks I'm a strong woman! I've been nominated to be in a web magazine called Women's Empowerment Canada. They are going to do a story on me, and I have a photoshoot on Saturday! The only thing is I had to wear something red. I really don't have anything red, which is quite suprising because it looks really good on me, and it's the wrong time of the year to buy red - there are only spring colors in the store. But I was successful after going through almost every store in south edmonton - literally and $200 later (eek...) I have this most wonderful outfit!! It looks like I lost weight, but I really haven't! I'm so excited now. It's weird to have to talk about myself- like REALLY talk about myself. I feel that there are so many other people that would be more fitting, but I'll take it, and trust their judgement. I'll keep you all filled in how it goes.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Emily & Haley waiting to board the plane to go see Grandma 2007. Aren't they so cute and little?!!
- Lasts longer
- I would FINALLY get a dishwasher
- More storage for my small house
- would be able to clean other parts of the house instead of always focusing on the kitchen...blah
- don't have to rush to apply for passports for the girls
- would be able to get into my dream house faster - the one that's big enough to have a studio on the main floor!! you know!
- no disneyland, and would be another 2-3 (at our current rate of saving) till we could plan another trip. They might not all be interested in going then.
- Finally fulfill our promise to take them see Mickey & the gang.
- Take them to another country, with a different environment - an adventure.
- Valuable Family time - we only have so much.
- GREAT photo opportunities!
- Get to go to Hollywood, LA, Lego land, San Diego Zoo, Tiauana and have margaritas!! yuuummmmm.
- More time in my small townhouse (at our current rate of savings). blaahhhh...
Well...we have to decide. If we were to go it would be next month. Either way it's nice to have such great options. Both are a win/win and would benefit our family IMMENSELY. Just which one...
Friday, April 09, 2010
1) Confidence IS key! If you don't have confidence in yourself, people won't either- no matter how good my price is.
2) Advertising is like fishing-Sometimes you catch a little, sometimes you catch alot. The most important thing is that you're patient and DON'T quit. It's just a matter of when, not if- if you're in the place you should be.
3) If you under promise and then over deliver, you end up being the hero! I tell people 4 weeks at the most before they get their pictures and I usually process them in 2. I won't tell you REALLY how fast I can do them...but it's fast. :)
4) I can't go wrong with the Holy Spirit on my side. There have a been a couple photoshoots that I have prayed under my breath, asking God to help me when I'm scrambling for ideas, or all the ideas I had just didn't fit with the location or lighting. He is faithful - everytime, and when I go to process the pictures in front of computer, I realize that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. He also helped me through creating my powerpoint presentation- haven't worked with powerpoint ONCE in my life! And I put together a WHoLE slide show with music! (with help from Lorne - tamara's husband) I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
There's actually alot more, but I'll save them for another time.
Wednesday, January 06, 2010
I got to shovel! I don't think I've told you about my fondness for shoveling. I didn't really realize that it was there till we finally bought a shovel this winter. We live in a townhouse, and therefore we pay someone to come and shovel all the sidewalks, but this year I decided that I wasn't going to wait for someone to come and shovel mine, because sometimes they don't come till the snow is all packed down. Also, my neighbors have shovels, but they only shovel their walk and the other neighbors walks and skip mine! I was a little disappointed, decided I need my own shovel. Anyways, on the first big snow, went to Costco bought a supremo shovel and went at it. I shoveled my parking spot, and while I was, I was flooded with happy memories. Mom would kick Chad, Tennille and I out to shovel our LOOOOONG driveway. I hated it and would often protest, but the fun part was afterward, we would end up playing or having a snowball fight or I would pull chad and tennille on the toboggan (never the other way around, because they said I was too big. I can see that, being the oldest). So...when I saw that it snowed at mom's, I was sooo excited to get out there and shovel. She has a pretty long driveway, so I shoveled the driveway, the porch, the sidewalks. I wanted to do it all by myself, but tennille and riley insisted on helping me...grrrr. Oh well, it was fun. Dad said that I'm really fast.
I'm on Day 21 of my babysteps with Flylady! This is as far as I got the last time, and then quit. But I'm doing it! I'm so happy with my house. It's not perfect, but I have confidence that it will get there. Today is home blessing hour. Where you set your timer and spend 10 minutes on 7 different jobs, like mop, take out trash, vacuum, dust, I can't remember them all, but it all written down somewhere. This has actually inspired Brian to do some projects around the house, and I'm not freaking out thinking I have to clean up that area first, because it's already tidy! So, just to let you know, I am breaking one of Flylady's Eleven Commandments - don't get sidtracked by the computer. To be honest I was on here to get a recipe for Candy Bread from my friend Cher, and then thought, I would check to see if someone had commented on my blog, and NO. ANd I thought it's been a while since I blogged, and here I am. And off I go to do my morning routine, and it's still morning! I'm getting better :)