Friday, June 17, 2011

Israel.. recap.

It's crazy how fast life can go from boring to exciting in a second..and then back to boring again.  I can't believe how much I've done in just a couple months.  It all seems like a dream...too good to be true. Israel was better than I thought it would be.  I didn't let myself expect too much because I usually - with my crazy big imagination get let down.  For instance, there was this trip that Brian and I took back to Ontario.  It was the first time back since we left and I was so excited...looked forward to it for months.  I thought about all the people I would see..thinking that nothing had changed, that all the friends I had would still be there...but they weren't.  They had all moved away.  I didn't get to go the places that I wanted to because i was dependent on my husband's family.  And well their idea of entertainment wasn't mine. It was such a let down in so many ways.  So I learned not to get my hopes up and have healthy expectations that way I don't get disappointed.

Well, I have to admit that looking at books and websites I started to get really excited. Talking to friends who had gone, looking at their pictures I was able to be convinced that maybe what I read in the travel book could possibly be true.  It was weird sitting in the Edmonton airport at midnight, all by myself, waiting for my plane to board.  I'm always surrounded by people and if I'm not, I always have something that I have to do.  It was weird to just sit and wait and not have a computer in front of me.  I have to say that I had a hard time with it, but by the morning I eased right into it.  I met my mom in Toronto airport and we had breakfast together and just talked.  If that's all I had done, I would have been happy.  But no, I got to go to another country and see a different culture.  While I was there for the first few days, I enjoyed myself, but by the end of the 10 days, I didn't want to leave.   I silently protested on the beach...hoping that it would convince the to sun to not set and that my time there would never end.  But sadly no...and here I write.

Toronto Airport


Catching up with mom....


A glimpse of what lies ahead. (I miss seeing signs in Hebrew)


First glimpse of Tel Aviv after 12 hours of waiting.


We made it!


The Via Dolorsa


Jerusalem  - old city


Church of the Holy Sepulchre 


Jerusalem - Jewish quarter




Church of the Nativity - Bethlehem 


The Dead Sea from Masada 


The big wall - Bethlehem


Via Dolorsa - Jerusalem


Old City market - Jerusalem


boy, that guy has a really big gun.


shopping in the market


catching up with old friends. 
We used to live in the same apartment building a floor apart in Ontario.

Happy Camel.



Garden of Gethsemane



Jerusalem


by the wailing wall







Tel Aviv - 



Ceasarea Martima - 


Mom and I in the Mediterranean



Sunset on the Mediterranean

I hope I can go back...if not, I'm happy to have had the chance to go and I'll always have the memories.


No comments: