Saturday, January 31, 2009

Girlfriends

Today I had the honor to go over to my friend Lizzy's house for brunch!! I love to go out for brunch. Really. There were families that we know who would always go out for breakfast together, and I secretly wished that my family was one of those. We actually didn't go out that much. My mom cooked everything. We had the odd outing, but for the most part everything was made from scratch - nothing processed or prepared. I've always admired her for the way she used to prepare Uber-healthy food for us. For instance, she used to buy wheat berries whole, and would grind them with her Bosch and make flour. And then make this thick, hearty bread. I always wanted to have white bread for lunch like all the other kids. But no, I had this bread that you took two bites and you were full. I actually crave it sometimes.
Ok, back to Liz. Liz and I have gone way back. We both grew up in Prince George, and went to the same church. I would bump into here and there, but last summer I saw her at a wedding. She said that she was looking for a new church, and I told about ours. She came the next day and has been coming ever since. It's been so nice to see her face every Sunday. I think because we go back so far, it's comforting. I know that I can talk to her about my family when I'm homesick. (which isn't too often).
It was such a treat to get out, and have some girltalk! We talked about underwear (my new $1.94 winter thongs! yay!), places that we've traveled (Mexico, Punta Cana), diet and exercise (which was started with Liz pointing out that my butt is smaller!! yay! someone noticed!), and always men (they always seem to creep into the conversation somehow!). I think it's funny how we process our thoughts as were talking. It's always nice to have an ear to listen, and allow us to vent our frustrations. I left there thinking that I need to do this more often, get together with girlfriends that is. I actually spend alot of time alone, or with Brian. Which isn't bad, I should mix it up that's all.
So, next week I'm going to visit Rachelle and her new babies. And I'm going to go to Ladies Morning Out on Thursday morning. Which is going to have more brunch and girl talk. I'm looking forward to it. LMO always has great discussions, some fiery, some very deep, some sad, but I always leave with a smile on my face.

2 comments:

The Kingsborough Queen said...

Girlfriends Rock!! They add such a sweetness to our life! Have a great time at LMO this week. I fly home to be with my girlfriends on Thursday...I'm so excited!! Always feel so blessed we got to reconnect...must have been something special there all those years ago! Looking forward to make new memories.

lyndsey greenhalgh said...

I feel the same also. My childhood was such a good one, I have so many good memories. I can't wait till I get a chance to come see you and your girls. We'll have so much fun!