Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Canada Day Long weekend...

Well Canada Day ok.  Yes, it was just ok.  I'm usually extremely patriotic but I don't know why this year it just didn't hold the same excitement that it usually does.  I remember last years fireworks, we watched them with Ric and Roz, they were so excited about the news of their new baby and we made plans for when I would do their maternity pictures.  That's exciting.  This year it was just us, and no friends or family.  I don't know, maybe I'm just missing my family.  

Anyways, we went downtown on the LRT.  Haven't done that forever (like 4-5 years ago) and went to city hall to look at the Works art festival and the booths set up.  There was lots of  handmade jewelry, I got lots of ideas, but couldn't imagine paying their prices because I know where to get everything wholesale.

  There was this one booth that the most amazing paintings.  I was drawn to them because of the vibrant colars and I liked the subject matter for the most part - the same stuff that I like to take pictures of - butterflies, flowers, seascapes but all in a fantasy, otherworld.  How she painted her subjects is how I usually like to edit my pictures. That's how I see them.  I talked to the artist for a bit and she started talking about her take on religion and how she got her inspiration was from all the feminine energy in her life and she channels that into her painting.  

I just smiled and nodded, and let her tell her story.  I found it interesting because she said that she thought traditional religion was becoming obsolete and that people are coming back to revering women as gods.  \ What?! I let her think that, and just kept on going..

Next stop was the Legislature buildings and we hadn't been there for Canada Day since Emily was 18months and Haley was 2!  The girls loved it and Allison keeps asking when I'm going to take her back to the place with the waterfalls.  


On the LRT!

The Legislature Grounds


Allison and Emily

The girls and I


Experimenting with cameras & glowsticks while waiting for the fireworks.



The next day we took the girls to the town of Gibbons! I once had a penpal who lived in Gibbons when I was a teenager, met her at a youth conference in Edmonton.  I never knew where it was and didn't realize how small it was.  I told brian that I would consider living there.  It was a nice size and close enough to the city.  He didn't say anything, which probably means no.  

The whole reason we took the girls to Gibbons, AB was to take them to the Jurrassic Forest. 
 It was so beautiful and natural.  I loved how much natural plant life there was.





The girls got a little tired of me lagging behind, but I was so mesmerized.  There was of course dinosaurs there, but for they were kind of boring.  Brian loved them, and took so many pictures of them.  For me I could have come back just for the plant life and scenery.  I would even consider doing a photoshoot there.  The plant life reminded me of something that you would see close to Jasper up in the mountains, but no it was in the prairies!  

No comments: