Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Why do I waste my time blogging?

       Tonight I just read this article... Why on Earth would you waste your time writing a blog? Well, I personally don't think I'm wasting time, but I know a few people who do, and I have to admit I don't have too many friends that write one just because.  I mean I have my photography blog and that has a purpose to draw more clients and build rapport, but using my blog as an online diary?  Is that cool?  I was seriously starting to doubt, but that article made me feel like I'm not alone and there are probably other people who have a lot to say, and nobody to say it to.

        I can't imagine this being my job, I would love it, because I always seem to have something to write about, and I pride myself on being able to tackle any subject.  (In fact I did a newspaper article in college about this race that was run naked!  I loved  the challenge of trying to put a politically polite spin on such a racy subject.)

     I think what draws me to it is that I've always had pen pals growing up, someone to share my heart to.  People still tell me years later how much they enjoyed reading my letters, that they were so long and full of detail and that they were never boring.  I can't imagine writing a letter anymore.  I think the last REAL letter I wrote (handwritten on girly paper, where I obsessed over my handwriting) was six years ago!  Actually no, I had a sponsor child in Africa for a while and her and I wrote back and forth for a whole year.  I was really sad to give her up, she had so much potential I loved encouraging her and sending her stickers.  :(

     I've written to people from all over the world, penpal in Brazil, Ireland, Missionary in Mongolia who moved to Malaysia, and then just friends that I met at youth conferences or on my trip to mongolia.  I still have all my letters from when I was in Bible school from my friend Bridget.  Even when we were apart, we still kept in touch and I couldn't wait for her envelope to arrive. I guess it's been my way of processing the world. I'd be on my way home from a trip, immediately I'd start writing a letter to someone, then someone else till I had a stack of letters for the post office.

      I always tried to think of something new that was small that could fit in the envelope.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  One time I put different colored fall leaves in and they apparently crumbled and when my friend opened them they looked nothing like leaves.  My favorite was the skinny sticks of Juicy Fruit gum (love that gum!).

      I've been thinking about writing another blog about the daily events of my totally fictitious life.  I would have in mind from the very beginning where things were going - like in a book, but I would do it all online.  I meet people all the time who I think would be great characters for a story and I wish I could use them somehow, bring them to life in my vivid imagination.  I don't know if I would tell anybody about it, because it would not be censored and it would might offend some people - which is one thing that keeps me from writing an actual book.  I totally get it when Anna Nalick sings in her song "Breathe (2 am)"

2 AM and I'm still awake, writing a song
If I get it all down on paper, it's no longer inside of me,
Threatening the life it belongs to
And I feel like I'm naked in front of the crowd
Cause these words are my diary, screaming out loud
And I know that you'll use them, however you want to

Christians aren't kind to each other - especially of someone's interpretation of life.  Alot feel like they have analyze and judge it to death.  Makes me sad and sick at the same time. But i have to admit that Christians are getting better, and getting more real - we have to.  I think because we're seeing how we're being portrayed on T.V and we feel embarrassed and want to change that.  I know I do.
    

No comments: