Saturday, July 09, 2011

Captivating...

     I don't know why, but I just haven't been myself lately.  Life just is boring, and there's just no adventure.  mundane.  There's lots going on, but it always seems to be the the same. predictable.  I'm starting to get weary from fighting the same battles day after day.  Is that ok for me to say that?

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India, and Indonesia


      I wish that I had the luxury of going off to "find myself" as Elizabeth Gilbert did - author of "Eat, Love Pray", but lets be realistic - 3 kids and... enough said right there.  I don't know how, but I was daydreaming about when a guy I knew in bible school (before brian - of course) said to me once.  He told me I was captivating. sigh...   It was a storybook moment.  I know what your thinking, he just said that because he wanted something.  Perhaps, but what girl doesn't want to be told that they are captivating?  To me, it was the ultimate compliment. I remembered last night that I have the book "Captivating" written by John & Stasi Eldredge on my shelf and I haven't read it!  


Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul


      I used to be apart of a woman's book club at the church when the girls were little, the funny thing is i would never read the books, but I would always join in the discussions.  If you want my opinion, I always have something to say - I just don't always share it. Anyways,  I tried, but I just wasn't a fast enough reader and just plain too busy.  So I saved all the books for a day when I wouldn't be so busy, and I'm so glad that I did.
     I read the first and second chapter and by the end of them my eyes were moist.  There is so much that I could tell you from what I read, but I'll pull out a few things that got me.  First off, that we are made in the image of God and the woman, Eve was the crescendo of creation.  That the earth wasn't right, Adam wasn't right until Eve came.  
     Women long to unveil beauty.  I know that some will deny it, but if they are really honest with themselves they desire to feel beautiful and to have someone mesmerized by them. Girls gravitate to dressing up, fairytales, princess stories.  I remember the Christmas that Brian was winning the Sleep Expert of the Year award.  I wanted to make sure that I had the perfect dress and I didn't care how much I spent.  I had always been on a budget and always bought dresses that were modest, but I wanted something that was over the top gorgeous - red carpet worthy.  I ended up buying a navy gown with so much chiffon that it gathered in around the waist and draped down past my feet.  I shopped for the perfect gold wristlet purse with rhinestones and gold leather.  The party was at the Fairmont Hotel and I felt like a princess.
  The funny thing is that when people describe meeting God, they have no words to describe the beauty.  John had to use word "like" to describe what he saw.

            "Right then the Spirit took control of me, and there in heaven I saw a 
       throne and someone sitting on it. 3The one who was sitting there sparkled
       like precious stones of jasper and carnelian. A rainbow that looked like an
       emerald surrounded the throne." Rev 4:2-3


He sparkled like precious stones...the things that women long to wear.  I thought it was funny when I read that, the jewelry that I wear and make is all semi-precious stones - amethyst, citrine, topaz, rose quartz, flourite.  I don't know why but they make me feel princess-like even if I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
  I think that if we realize that we are royalty, as sons and daughters of God then we will behave like it.


                 "9But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a dedicated nation, [God's]
         own purchased,special people, that you may set forth the wonderful deeds
         and display the virtues and perfections of Him Who called you out of 
         darkness into His marvelous light."  1 Peter 2:9


I once wrote a song for my girls and in the climax - the bridge I put everything that I was gone what I wanted them to remember - one of them was that they are royalty.  Princesses don't give their love away to just anyone, they save it for someone special.  They wait for someone who is willing to wait and earn their love.  Fight for them.  Someone strong and whole, who when your around them, you want to be better and you feel you are better for just knowing them.  I could keep writing, but my mood has changed just from reflecting on the book and I think I'm going to read some more before bed.  writing...so theraputic. :)


Here's the song I was telling you about.  It's kind of rough, because I have instructions for my worship team at the time.  We used a full band. So...imagine a really cool guitar solo at the end of the bridge.  To bad I didn't have a  video of the performance. oh well.





The days go by so fast
you blink and then they're past
and all you have is memories
and pictures if your lucky

I try to make them last
but all my good intentions
won't keep you here
one day you'll fly away

Chorus
And if there's one thing I could say to you
Is I love you  more than words could say
Your always in my heart
I hope I give you all the tools you need
To make it through this life
Most of all, I hope I've shown you Jesus

Ring around the rosy hide and seek
Patty cakes, belly aches, runny nose, dirty toes
Rush through my head like lightening
And sweep me away

Jesus loves me this I know
For the Bible and your mommy tells you so
You are no more than three
Snuggled up on my knee

Bridge
Now listen...
He's closer than a prayer
His love is all you need
When times get rough He'll be your anchor
Remember you're His child
You're royalty
When pressures come he'll take you higher
You can do all things through Christ who gives you strength
More than a conqueror because He loves you
and gave his life for you.

He loves you
He's passionate about you
I love you
I love you

© 2008 Lyndsey Greenhalgh





No comments: