Sunday, March 01, 2009

True Friends...

I am continually amazed at the things I find in people I know. Sometimes it is unfortunate circumstances, that have shaped them and made them stonger, but sometimes it is incredible accomplishments. Last week I had the opportunity to find out more about my friend Teresa. We have been friends for about 4 years. She moved into our complex the year that Emily started Kindergarten, her daughter, shaelyn also started kindergarten and the two have been inseperable. Her friendship has meant the world to me.

She is so thoughtful, friendly, smart, strong, gracious, put-together. There are times when I do something stupid (usually say something stupid) and I think, "oh my gosh, she's never going to speak to me again!!" Yet, she's still here! Anyways, last tuesday we had the chance to go out for coffee. Right now she's a part-time ski instructor, and nurse. Her ski lesson was cancelled due to the cold, so it was perfect for us to go out for coffee. We split a banana bread, and a red velvet cupcake. Yuummm!!! Our conversations always come so easy.

When we first met, she had casually mentioned that she was on the Team Canada Ski team, and I've always remember and hoped that the time would be right for me to find out more. Well, out of the blue she says, "you know when you mentioned on Facebook that you wanted to see some of my pictures from my Team Canada days? You want to come over and I show you?" Oh MY!! I was so excited! She is quite a private person, and for her to show you this stuff is such an honor!! She showed me her plaques, and awards. She showed me a video of her performing at Nationals and she placed 5th!!! and she was 1st in Alberta for three years in a row! She did Freestyle skiing - Aerials, moguls, and ballet- yes there's something called "ballet skiing". It's like figure-skating on skis. I had to question her on doing Aerial ski jumping...HOW DO YOU DO THAT?!!! that's just crazy! But sooo cool! I've always thought that she was the most amazing person, but by far she's my favorite...ha ha

I'm hoping that we can go skiing together. I haven't gone skiing since I was about 18, and brian hurt his knee skiing when Haley was a baby, so that ruled him out as being my skiing buddy. The sad thing is that she will be moving to Calgary this summer. So I am trying to gear up mentally for that. Last year, there was a couple times when we thought that Brian might get transfered to a different city. I was so suprised at how much people expressed how much they would miss me. I have to say, that I never felt so special. (second was when the UPS, Staples delivery guy, Telsco -security company for the church, and a lady at the company who services the church's photocopier all noticed that I was working at the church anymore and expressed that they missed seeing my "smiling face"..ha ha! "Where's Lyndsey??!!" Teresa will be so missed, but I've been incredibly blessed to have her only 2 minutes away from me for the past 4 years. Sigh...my cup runneth over.

2 comments:

Just Me said...

Oh No! What are you going to do without Theresa? Do I see a move in ur future?

lyndsey greenhalgh said...

I know!!! I don't even want to go there! All my good friends keep moving away. I thought for sure she'd be here forever - because her mom and dad live here. nope. oh well. I'll have to take it one day at a time. At least she's not moving across the country or something. only 4 hours away....sigh.