Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Standing strong in the storm...

Yesterday, I was in the company of the most courageous people you'll ever lay eyes on. I had to take Ally to the Stollery Children's Hospital for her 2 year checkup. Allison was born with a heart murmer. We've been lucky in that it hasn't affected her quality of life, but sitting in the waiting room of the heart clinic, I saw how her life could have been.
A bubbly little sweetie, probably about 2 years old, with a cute little black curly ponytail, white frilly top and light purple pants, floated up and down the hall - the waiting room was too tight and congesting for her. So she walked up and down the hall, and would peak in the rooms and say "hi, whatcha doin?" She looked happy and normal, except for the backpack that she had to wear with a tube attached to it that went up her nose.
Children with heart murmers (ASD or VSD) sometimes don't get enough oxygen to their blood, and sometimes need oxygen tanks. I couldn't help but think this could have been Ally, if her hole was just a tiny bit larger. I also saw a baby - about 6 months that had to fed through a tube. He couldn't nurse, his parents took a big syringe and hooked it up to the end of the tube that went up his nose and down his throat. The whole time, I tried to smile, because they were smiling, and in awe. Thinking, "How can you be so together, and happy when you can't nurse your baby, or your baby has to wear an oxygen tank every moment of her life?"
It turns out, that Ally doesn't have to go back. Her hole is so small, and the only reason that it needed to monitored was for dental reasons- yes dental. If she had to go to the dentist, she used to have to take antibiotics before she could let them do work on her. I kind of remember what it's for, but don't want to explain, just incase I've got it wrong. anyways, they changed the criteria for patients that need the antibiotic and ally doesn't need to take it anymore.
So we had some time before Haley got home from school, and thought we'd check out the food court -yes, this is the UofA university hospital and they have a food court- crazy. So as we were walking through the food court, we were walking behind an elderly man - about 70's, who had an IV stand in one hand and was pushing what could only be explained as a wheelchair bed. He slowly pushed a woman that I could only guess to be his wife, through this large busy corridor, people weaving around him. I was thinking, "I wonder how many times they've taken this trip, because he's very calm and purposeful. How do you stay so calm?"
I guess the only answer is Love. Love is what helps a mother put on the brave face, hold her child's hand while their getting tests, and smile, and even laugh from time to time. I think it really put things in perspective as to how blessed I am, and that the problems I have with constant underwear behind the bathroom door, and messy rooms seem quite small compared to what some parents have to face. They have my deepest respect.

No comments: