Sunday, February 08, 2009

What I wrote for Bonnie...

My friend Bonnie has asked me to post some of my "gym stories" on her youtube channel. I don't know. I don't feel like I'm that inspirational, but I guess the fact that I am working out is something to people. On friday, they had some t-shirts on sale for $5 at work- I work at Old Navy. I had been looking at these cute little henleys since we put them out in January. Well! I jumped at the chance! I didn't even think about it, I picked up a large like I usually do, and when I got home I was so suprised at how big it was on me! Have I really lost that much weight? I've moved from the large section in pants also. I'm in size 10's now! And I feel so good when I look in the mirror and my tummy isn't the first thing that I see. I'm 5'10 and 165lbs and counting. When I started working out period, I was 189lbs in Sept 2007. I had a desk job where I was getting no excercise, constantly eating out, and high stress. At the end of the day, I would eat to make me feel better. Ice cream was my comfort food of choice, and because of long days, I didn't feel I had the energy to make a meal. So most often we would eat out. I quit my job in July, and decided to stay home with my family and destress. My husband also wanted to loose weight, so he got us a membership to the YMCA in September of 2007. I worked out, but not too seriously, about 2-3 times a week, but I didn't care for the routine that my trainer had me on. (an hour of free weights and 30 mins of cardio...too long! I want to be in and out!) And after awhile, it was down to one day, and my husband had to drag me!! So I found another trainer(I go to the Y), and she was really good. I told her that I didn't want to be here for a long time, but I wanted results. So she put me on routine of 20 minutes of pull-ups (on a weight assistance machine), push-ups and sit-ups, and I just added dips to the mix. That was in the spring of last year, and I did it two days a week, and that helped to keep my metabolism reved. I also started to swim while my girls were having their swimming lessons. I would try to swim for the whole half hour. Summer came, and I just gave up, and did other things. But when I got a job in Sept, I found I was way too tired to go the gym. I was getting up at 5:00 am and then working for 8/9 hours. I went to the gym just before New Years to blow off some steam, and weighted myself. I thougt for sure that I would be so suprised at how weight I had gained. Suprisingly, I was the same as I was in summer! (Just not quite as toned.) Now that it's after Christmas, retail stores have slowed down alot, and so I just decided that since I have all this free time, I'm going to go to the gym right after I get off work, instead of heading straight home. I've been doing the pull-up routine Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and on Tues & Thursday, I do pilates or swimming - usually pilates. I've been doing this for about a month now, and I feel awesome. I still have a ways to go, but not too much more. I'm trying not to judge myself by weight, but by clothes size. A size 8 is perfect for me- size 6 too skinny. So...that's me. I'll try and keep you posted to how things are going. I also have a blog where I have been journaling my life and my adventures at the gym. http://adayinthelifeoflyndsey.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Just Me said...

I want to see pictures!!! Good for you! i wish we lived in the same city so we could work out together :(

lyndsey greenhalgh said...

ok...I'll have get Brian to take some pics. Ya we would have lots of fun working out together :)